Saturday, July 30, 2022

Francis W. Smith to David F. Boyd, September 9, 1860

NORFOLK, September 9, 1860.

MY DEAR BOYD: Your letter was received today and though much of its news has been anticipated by advices from Sherman . . . I think if I did not intend giving myself the pleasure of a charming drive this afternoon, with a still more charming young lady, I would, for want of nothing else to do, work myself up into a muss. But that would rumple my shirt collar, so I will even answer you very coolly, viz:

Your kind proposition about assisting Vallas yourself, I cannot allow myself to entertain for one moment. In the first place, you would transfer part of your class to me and thus break that unity of mode of instruction so necessary to those in the same class. And really too I am but little prepared to conduct any but your lower classes. Indeed I thank you very much and appreciate the disinterested kindness of your offer; but I think your other idea far preferable. I would therefore prefer . . . that, if the Board deem that the finances of the institution do not justify the employment of an assistant to Vallas, and if they deem it right that I should take some class or other, that they will, for the coming session, attach to my chair the “Branch of Natural Philosophy.” This branch will be confined to those of last year's class who will be passed to the third class of '60-'61. This will give me, in connection with my duties as commandant and a barely possible chance of a small chemistry class, fully my share of work. If further assistance is still needed, I will take any class, which the Academic Board may see fit to give me. I will not specify what that class may be. The Academic Board, as fixee of the course of study, should best determine. Please do not let General Graham make this proposition to the Board as coming from me; he may state, if he pleases my concurrence in it. My reason for not offering any assistance is simply this: I have no official right to know that my services will be needed, as at the time I left the Seminary, it had been decided that two assistants should be appointed, the only question being as to their mode of appointment. Our weather cock board has changed all this since I left, and I do not choose to let my services or my offer of such follow their vagaries.

General Graham and yourself both know my willingness to assist the Seminary in any proper way. I have assisted Vallas, I would cheerfully and willingly assist you, I have helped Sherman. I even offered to help St. Ange until he informed me that he was Professor of Tongues. . . I am only repeating my willingness to do what I can, though I do not profess to say that I prefer doing that to confining myself to my own department. You can let General G. see this letter, and he may do what he thinks best. . .

SOURCES: Walter L. Fleming, General W.T. Sherman as College President, p. 276-7

No comments: