Saturday, July 30, 2022

William T. Sherman to David F. Boyd, October 15, 1860

ST. CHARLES HOTEL, New Orleans, Monday, Oct. 15, 1860.

DEAR BOYD: I arrived yesterday. This morning find that a part of our bedding has been shipped per “Eleanor.” Hardware all ready except some buckets and brooms, and these will be ready by Wednesday, when I think I will ship per “Era No. 7'' twenty-nine boxes of books, text and library. One [box of] regulations and some ten of Vallas' are here, and I will send all per “Era No.7" if in meantime a better boat do not come. I will either come up in the “Era” or the stage. I would leave to-morrow and reach Alexandria Thursday, but Jarreau wants me to get him two servants to wait on his table, and I want a drummer, if possible, vice Frank, deserted.

Tell Jarreau that Kennett was not willing that any more groceries should be sent him, as there is a balance due them of six months' standing; but as I know these groceries will be wanted, I have agreed with Kennett to be responsible. I hope Mr. Vallas has his assistant engaged. We must start November 1 to the minute. I find Ruddiman's Grammar could not be had. Andrews and Stoddard has been substituted. No prefixes and suffixes – it is a book published solely for West Point and is not for sale.

SOURCES: Walter L. Fleming, General W.T. Sherman as College President, p. 294

No comments: