Monday, August 22, 2022

Brigadier-General Albin F. Schoepf to Brigadier-General George H. Thomas, October 28, 1861

CAMP CONNELL, NEAR LONDON,        
Laurel County, Kentucky, October 28, 1861.
[General GEORGE H. THOMAS:]

GENERAL: In compliance with your instructions I have moved my command forward, and now occupy a position about 3 miles north of London, at the junction of the Crab Orchard and Richmond roads.

I have in camp the Fourteenth and Seventeenth Ohio and Thirty-third Indiana and two batteries (Standart's and Kenny's).

I have sent Colonel Garrard's Kentucky and the First Tennessee ahead to occupy London or some convenient point adjacent. The Second Tennessee will be up to-night.

Please advise me of the location, strength, &c., of the several columns of our forces now in Kentucky. I am feeling my way somewhat in the dark, and would like to be kept posted up with reference to the movements of both friends and enemies. I reconnoitered this morning a few miles beyond London to find a better camping ground, but found no position as good as my present, I can here obtain wood, water, forage, and some provisions, which is more than I can do on the other side of London, except by hauling a long distance.

It is reported that Buckner has advanced upon Greensburg. Is it so? A Mr. Burnsides reports himself as beef contractor, but has no documents to show the fact. I understood you to say that he had contracted. Did I rightly understand you?

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,
A. SCHOEPF,        
Brigadier-General.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 4 (Serial No. 4), p. 322-3

No comments: