Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Josiah Perham to John W. Garrett, November 21, 1859

Boston, Nov. 21st, 1859.
President or Superintendent Baltimore & Ohio R. R.

Gentlemen:— My second letter had been sent to you before I received an answer to my first, declining to make a reduction in the fare on your road for an excursion party to Washington and Harper's Ferry, and Charlestown. Since I received your answer I have seen paragraphs in the newspapers stating that you were afraid to take my excursion, as you believe it, they would not be a suitable class of people to visit Virginia. In answer to that, I would say that I have moved more than 200,000 people within the last nine years in excursions, and I have had no accident happen to any of them, nor have I ever had any complaint made that any of them did not behave well. I do not think any one would go on my excursion to Washington or Harper's Ferry that would not conduct with propriety. I cannot say how many would go on the excursion, but if it is got up about the middle of December, so that they could be in Charlestown on the 16th of December, I think a very large party could be got out. Many would go to Washington, and not go to see the men hung, while a great many would go to witness the hanging. The sentence of the Judge was for them to be hung in public, which means that the people may go to see them hung that want to. In case a large party should go it would be necessary that an extra train should be in Baltimore on the morning of the 16th for Harper's Ferry and Charlestown, and remain there for three or four hours, and return to Baltimore or Washington the same night. I am told there are no hotel accommodations at either Harper's Ferry or Charlestown, sufficient to take care of one or two thousand people. If you will take one fare for the excursion ticket from Baltimore to Washington and back, I will advertise the excursion at once, and sell them all tickets through to Washington, with the agreement that you will sell round trip tickets to Charlestown or Harper's Ferry for all that wish to go there.

You need not fear of any trouble from any of the people that will go on my excursion, as any one that would not behave well would not dare to go. Hoping to receive a favorable answer from you by return mail, I remain truly,

Your ob’t servant,
JOSIAH PERHAM.

SOURCE: B. H. Richardson, Annapolis, Maryland, Publisher, Correspondence Relating to the Insurrection at Harper's Ferry, 17th October, 1859, p. 57-8

No comments: