Monday, September 5, 2022

Diary of Congressman Rutherford B. Hayes: November 30, 1865

452 Thirteenth Street, Washington, D. C.

Came here as a member of the House of Representatives for Second District of Ohio this morning. My travelling companions were: Mr. [Benjamin] Eggleston, my colleague of the First District; R. W. Clark of Clermont County (Fifth District), and his wife; [and Samuel] McKee, of Kentucky, his wife and son, Frank, and wife's sister, Miss Frances Brainerd, of Oxford, Ohio. Captain McKee, now of Mount Sterling, represents sixteen of the hard mountain counties of northeastern Kentucky. He doesn't travel on the Sabbath, plays no cards, neither drinks nor uses tobacco, and is an abolitionist! The war has done the work of centuries. Five years ago the same constituency would have voted to crucify him.

Have got my first batch of stationery, and reported myself to the Clerk of the House, Mr. McPherson. This with my bachelor quarters is my first step in Congressional life.

SOURCE: Charles Richard Williams, editor, Diary and Letters of Rutherford Birchard Hayes, Volume 3, p. 5

No comments: