Monday, September 5, 2022

Rutherford B. Hayes to Lucy Webb Hayes, October 1, 1865

CINCINNATI, October 1, 1865.

MY DARLING:— The duds are in the house and the repairing, etc., begun. It will be cramped and I fear seem gloomy to you at first, but I trust we shall find it as happy as ever.

I have made two quite successful speeches this week-one at Marysville in Union County, and the other at General Grant's meeting at his old home in Clermont County. I also spoke so-so at several meetings in this county and city. I speak at Sidney in Shelby County on the 3d and Wednesday the 4th will come in the morning train from Toledo. My voice and health are good. The night ride after speaking at Sidney will leave me a little fagged out at Fremont.

I hope I shall be with you Wednesday night and Thursday night. I then come home via Wayne County and will go up to you immediately after the election. Love to all.

Ever, your
R.
MRS. HAYES,
        Fremont.

SOURCE: Charles Richard Williams, editor, Diary and Letters of Rutherford Birchard Hayes, Volume 3, p. 4

No comments: