Monday, January 2, 2023

Dr. Seth Rogers to his daughter Dolly, February 17, 1863—Evening

February 17, 1863, Evening.

Today I have been reading Judge Conway's1 speech in Congress. I have found no leisure to watch carefully the reported change in public opinion in the North. I did not believe till today, that our friends are actually getting hopeless about the restoration of the Union on the basis of universal freedom. Judge Conway's opinion I respect, and in this instance it weighs like lead upon my spirits. Besides, I somehow feel that the sentiments of a majority of the friends of freedom are too nearly represented in this speech. If so, nothing short of a miracle can bring the present generation of slaves into freedom. This thought makes me tremble when I look into the faces of our brave fellows and remember what millions of such are waiting in bondage for an opportunity to be as brave. The contemptible love of dominion so long fostered in this nation will yet be the death of it. Of course a better nation will grow out of the mouldering ruins, but it is cruel that the present good of a nation and a race should be sacrificed on the altar of selfishness. These men have wives and children, brothers and sisters, fathers and mothers yet in slavery and they daily pray God to bless the nation that has begun to let them fight for freedom. If the nation proves false to this half realized hope the curse of God will weigh more heavily on us than ever before. I would rather make my grave with the oppressed and outraged than survive the day of their blighted anticipations. As God lives, liberty will come at last, but I long to see her before I die.
_______________

1 Martin F. Conway, elected from Kansas to the thirty-seventh Congress. His speech on "The War" is printed in the "Congressional Globe," 3d Sess., 37th Cong., appendix, 62. It was reprinted in the "Boston Commonwealth" on February 14, 1863.

SOURCE: Proceedings of the Massachusetts Historical Society, Volume 43, October, 1909—June, 1910: February 1910. p. 365

No comments: