Friday, February 3, 2023

William T. Sherman to Braxton Bragg, February 1, 1861

SEMINARY OF LEARNING, ALEXANDRIA, Louisiana, February 1, 1861.

DEAR SIR: . . . I thank you most kindly, and Governor Moore through you, for the kind manner in which you have met my wishes.

Now that I cannot be compromised by political events, I will so shape my course as best to serve the institution, which has a strong hold on my affections and respect.

The Board of Supervisors will be called for the 9th instant, and I will co-operate with them in their measures to place matters here on a safe and secure basis. I expect to be here two weeks, and will make you full returns for moneys and property belonging to the State Central Arsenal. All the arms and ammunitions are safely stored here. Then I will write you more at length.

SOURCE: Walter L. Fleming, General W.T. Sherman as College President, p. 359

No comments: