Monday, March 13, 2023

Brigadier-General Jeremiah T. Boyle to Brigadier-General George H. Thomas, December 12, 1861

HDQRS. ELEVENTH BRIGADE, U. S. VOLUNTEERS,        
Columbia, December 12, 1861.
General THOMAS, U. S. A.
        Commanding First Division, Lebanon, Ky.:

GENERAL: I directed Colonel Bramlette, with two companies from his the Pulaski or Somerset road and take and occupy the most available position of defense, having regard to water, &c., and to take with him Lieutenant Bonter, (?) temporarily on my staff, a fine engineer, to aid him.

After an examination of the grounds, we regard the most available point of defense at and near the crossing of Russell's Creek, on the Somerset road, northeast of and near the town. Such defenses as will be required can soon be formed. With a battery of artillery the place can be held against considerable odds. Can we not be supported with a battery?

The rebel cavalry who crossed the Cumberland into Russell County have, it is reported, killed 50 or 60 of the loyal and defenseless citizens. I ordered part of Wolford's and part of Haggard's cavalry to the relief of the country. Can I at my discretion move one or more regiments to or in the direction of Cumberland, to give protection to the country on the Cumberland and hold the enemy in check?

If General Schoepf is moving on the enemy from the other direction, can I not be ordered up to attack from this side simultaneously, the movement being understood by General Schoepf?

If there is not reason to expect an attack here or a very early movement forward, I desire leave of absence for several days. I have no uniforms, no clothing, and no arms. I have no uniform or arms of any kind. There are other reasons rendering it necessary for me to be absent for some days which I do not give.

Colonel Beatty, of Nineteenth Ohio, was mustered into service August 10, but has no commission yet. Colonel Bramlette's commission is of 10th September, 1861.

Respectfully, &c.,
J. T. BOYLE,        
Acting Brigadier-General.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 7 (Serial No. 7), p. 493-4

No comments: