Saturday, March 11, 2023

William T. Sherman to Ellen Ewing Sherman, February 16, 1861

SEMINARY (Sunday), Feb. 16, 1861.

. . . I have been busy all day in making up accounts and papers and packing up. I shall leave here on Tuesday and will meet Dr. Smith at New Orleans by Friday and hope to take the cars by Saturday night for St. Louis.

I expect nothing at St. Louis and go there merely to see old acquaintances and friends and to look at that little farm. I will not delay long and will be home before the 4th March. That is I suppose the critical moment. Much now depends on the action of that assemblage in Washington1 of which I am pleased to see your father is a member. Still when opinions so widely vary as they do it is almost impossible to discuss any practicable question.

I went up the Bayou last week to visit the Lucketts, Sanfords, Comptons, Grahams, and Longs. All, however were so full of northern outrages, wrongs, oppressions, etc., that 'twas useless to argue. There seems to be universal regret that I leave and I received [such] unmistakable evidence of kindly regard that I cannot but feel some regret at parting. . .
_______________

1 The Peace Convention. - Ed.

SOURCE: Walter L. Fleming, General W.T. Sherman as College President, p. 364

No comments: