Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Dr. Seth Rogers to his daughter Dolly, March 30, 1863

March 30.

Late last evening we succeeded in getting a hundred men ashore and decently quartered in old houses. The wind blew a gale most of the night, the rain poured in torrents, while occasional thunder and lightning added interest to the scene. I enjoyed it much more than if part of our men had not gone on shore. The Captain of the Convoy insisted on my taking his berth, so that my quarters were very good. I would sooner have lain on the hurricane deck in the storm than have slept in the cabin. At this moment I am writing in the captain's room with a crowd of homeless women and children around me. One important testimony from them I am glad to record. They prefer to be here with the poorest accommodations, rather than on the Boston or Delaware with nice staterooms and a large saloon. And what do you suppose is the reason? Because black soldiers do not offer them insults, and they do not feel so secure with white ones. It is established beyond all controversy that black troops, with worthy commanders, are more controllable than white troops. What they would be with a less conscientious Colonel, I cannot say.

This morning the Major and I went on shore and designated quarters for every company on board and now they are all drying and rejoicing themselves before blazing fires.

SOURCE: Proceedings of the Massachusetts Historical Society, Volume 43, October, 1909—June, 1910: February 1910. p. 383-4

No comments: