Sunday, April 23, 2023

E. N. P. to John Brown, November 23, 1859

Collinsville, [Connecticut,] November 23.

My Very Dear Sir: Little did I think, when I was so much enjoying your society at my home a few months ago, it would ever be my lot to address you under such painful circumstances; nor can I here find words to express to you the depth of my sympathy. We mourn for you as for a father, yet not without hope; and much do we rejoice to know that you still find comfort and consolation in communion with that God whom, we doubt not, it has ever been your aim to love and serve. And, although he may permit Virginia's sons and daughters to dye their hands in your blood, we know that act will do much to advance the cause we love. True, 'tis a bitter cup, and would to God it might pass from you. Yet I think I hear you say "Thy will, O God, be done."

Let us thank God that the Power (called Law) which will lead you forth to martyrdom can reach no farther. There is a resting-place where a Higher Law is known and recognized, and where the oppressed go free. May God grant that we may meet there when he shall have done with us here.

You will be pleased to learn that your wife is being remembered in such a way as will relieve her from pecuniary want. We feel it a privilege to contribute something for her comfort, who has sacrificed so much for the cause.

You will never know with how much interest your friends have watched each daily paper to catch each item of news in your case, and each word you have been permitted to utter; for we doubt not God has directed what you should say. Those words of truth you have spoken have rung from East to West, carrying with them a deep feeling of sympathy for the honest and noble Capt. John Brown. Many are the prayers which have been offered that you may be sustained in the hour of trial. Surely, He who has thus kept you will not forsake you. Thus feebly do I offer you my heartfelt sympathy. May God ever be present to bless and keep you.

Your true friend,
E. N. P.

SOURCE: James Redpath, Editor, Echoes of Harper’s Ferry, p. 394

No comments: