Thursday, May 11, 2023

Congressman Rutherford B. Hayes to Guy F. Bryan, October 1, 1866

CINCINNATI, October 1, 1866.

MY DEAR GUY:— Your letter of the 18th came duly to hand. It finds me in the midst of an unusually exciting political struggle. The election is next week. I am a candidate for re-election and expect to succeed by a large majority. I will bore you with only a few words on politics.

I think the election will show that the people are resolved to adopt the Congressional plan of Reconstruction. It does not "disfranchise" anybody in the So uth. It disqualifies for holding office those who have been leaders the old office-holders. All young men are qualified although implicated in the Rebellion. The disqualification probably applies to no man in your State who is now under twenty-seven or eight years of age. Recollect too that the disqualification can be removed in any case by a two-thirds vote of the Senate and House. That vote will be obtained in all cases in a few years, if peace and loyalty are restored in the South. You have, of course, seen our plan. I send you one of my electioneering speeches which contains the different sections, and let me frankly say that if we carry these elections, this plan contains the best terms you will ever get — and they should be promptly accepted. The young men are with us almost universally. The life and energy of the North is with us. If the elections are against us, we shall submit. If they are for us, the Democracy will submit. We shall be united in any event. Do not be again deceived with the hope of Democratic help in a further struggle. I hope you will give the Congressional plan a fair hearing. If we succeed you must adopt it, if you regard your own welfare.

I am very much obliged by the photographs album of particular friends and near relatives. My wife is in love with the fine faces of your children. I can readily believe all you say of your boy.

I have three boys living- my three eldest. We lost two boys—both under two years. Birchie, aged thirteen is in all respects a noble and promising boy. Webb aged ten and Rud aged eight are good boys also. They are all absent from home now. The two big boys with their uncle at Fremont and Ruddy at Chillicothe. My mother now aged seventy-five is at Columbus in good health. Uncle often talks of you and would give a good deal to see you. If you come North, do try to visit him as well as myself. My brother-in-law (whom you know), Dr. Webb, is travelling in Europe. My wife's mother died a few weeks ago. With no small children and no old person about the house, my family seems small. I hope I shall see you soon.

I am sure you did all that friendship required to meet General Fullerton. I count upon the constancy and sincerity of your feelings by what I know of my own towards you. The only things he could have said to you was to give you my views of the future duty of the South. If we succeed in the elections now pending, don't be deceived by Andy Johnson. The North will be far better united during the next struggle, if unhappily there is one, than during the last. Johnson and his office-holders will be "a mere snap-a flash in the pan." Ten thousand majority in Ohio is as good for practical purposes as a unanimous vote. We shall be united in action. We shall submit, if the majority is clearly against us. Our adversaries will submit, if it is otherwise. My last word is, don't let Andy Johnson deceive you. He don't know the Northern people.

As ever,
R.
GUY M. BRYAN,
        Texas.

SOURCE: Charles Richard Williams, editor, Diary and Letters of Rutherford Birchard Hayes, Volume 3, p. 32-3

No comments: