Saturday, May 6, 2023

Dr. Seth Rogers to his daughter Dolly, April 4, 1863

April 4.

Tomorrow I hear we are to pull up stakes and go on picket duty. This is not easy work, but work of any kind is preferable to inactivity. Dr. Minor is down with intermittent fever. I scarcely know how to spare him. I was obliged to send John Quincy to the Beaufort Hospital.

. . . Mrs. General Lander1 drew up her splendid steed before my tent door this afternoon and assured me she would do all in her power for our General Hospital for colored soldiers, now being established in Beaufort.

It is yet undecided who the surgeon will be and I am somewhat solicitous about it. Very few surgeons will do precisely the same for blacks as they would for whites, and I know of no people more susceptible to the benign influence of kind words than these long-suffering blacks.

Mrs. Lander told me that the sixth Connecticut boys were full of praises of the bravery of our regiment.

_______________

1 Jean Margaret Davenport, widow of Major-Gen. Frederick William Lander.

SOURCE: Proceedings of the Massachusetts Historical Society, Volume 43, October, 1909—June, 1910: February 1910. p. 385-6

No comments: