Tuesday, May 2, 2023

W. Farley Grey to John Tyler, December 22, 1859

NEW YORK, December 22, 1859.

MY DEAR SIR: Permit me to trouble you to read some resolutions which I drew up, and which were unanimously and enthusiastically adopted a few evenings since at a meeting of the friends of the Union and Constitution upon Staten Island. The construction of the Constitution which they embody may not meet with your approbation, but, after mature reflection and examination of the clauses referred to, I have myself no doubt upon the subject; and such, too, I fear is the opinion of a great many able men to whom I have talked upon the subject.

How desirable that such an interpretation should prevail you will readily perceive, as it will bring the general government into the field against these infernal scoundrels, as well the parties who at a safe distance supply the means for such infamous assaults to those who are the instruments of their execution.

I am happy to tell you that the feeling here in New York is all we could wish. An army of fifty thousand men, I am persuaded, could be raised here at the tap of a drum to march to your aid, if necessary. Many are as violent as any Southern man could be. Counsel our countrymen, for I am yet a Virginian, to calmer coolness and moderation. Give the North credit for all they deserve, and a brighter day will yet dawn upon the country.

You must present my most cordial regards to Mrs Tyler, and tell her that nothing could give me more pleasure, if I could leave home, than to go all the way to Virginia to spend a few days with her and yourself.

Believe me, my dear sir, with the greatest consideration and the most sincere respect, your obedient servant,

W. FARLEY GREY.

You will find the report of the meeting on the inside of the paper-second page.

SOURCE: Lyon Gardiner Tyler, The Letters and Times of the Tylers, Volume 2, p. 556-7

No comments: