Tuesday, July 11, 2023

John Tyler to Robert Tyler, January 18, 1861

SHERWOOD FOREST, January 18, 1861.

MY DEAR ROBERT: . . . . . . My paper did not come out in the Richmond papers on Tuesday as I expected. I suppose it reached Richmond on Monday too late for the press. I recommended a meeting of the Border States through commissioners. The course of the Pennsylvania and Ohio Legislatures, made known to me on yesterday, leaves but little hope of any adjustment.

The Legislature of Virginia have so trammelled their convention bill that I fear that we shall have a doubtful result. They talk hereabouts of sending me to the convention. Should the application be made formally, I shall find difficulty in refusing; and yet I in no way desire it. My hope is that they will select some other. Compromise seems to be more distant every day. The fate of Crittenden's project, I suppose, will nearly conclude matters. Keep me advised about movements in Pennsylvania.

I am better in the last two days, but still infirm.

Your father,
JOHN TYLER.

SOURCE: Lyon Gardiner Tyler, The Letters and Times of the Tylers, Volume 2, p. 578-9

No comments: