Monday, July 17, 2023

Senator Henry Clay to Susan Jacob Clay, September 6, 1850

ASHLAND, November 21, 1850.

I was rejoiced, my dear Susan, to have seen by the newspapers, that you and your children had arrived safely at New York, and by the telegraphic dispatch, which you sent me from Pittsburg, that you had reached that city. Not knowing whether you will first come here or go to Louisville, I address this letter to you at the latter. I expect to leave home on the first or second of next month. Will you come here before I go? If not, I must try to go by Louisville to see you and the children.

I have sold James' house for nine thousand dollars, one third to be paid at New Orleans the first of January next, one third in October next, and the other third the October following, all well secured. Harvey Miller was the purchaser. Considering James' anxiety to sell, and the low price of town property, the sale is considered a good one. But if he had been at home, and could have made an arrangement with me for the purchase of Ashland, I would have allowed him ten thousand dollars for his house. Mr. Miller had left the house, and I could get no good tenant. So you see you are without house and home; but I hope you will pass as much of your time as you can at Ashland. John expects to go to New Orleans in two or three weeks. We are all well here and at Mansfield.

Write me immediately about your movements. My love to Lucy and the other children.

SOURCE: Calvin Colton, Editor, The Private Correspondence of Henry Clay, p. 612-3

No comments: