Thursday, August 17, 2023

Congressman Rutherford B. Hayes to William Henry Smith, January 29 , 1867

Private and Confidential.

WASHINGTON, D. C., January 29, 1867.

MY DEAR SIR:—I am this morning in receipt of yours of the 26th as to the next Union nomination for governor. Since General Cox's declination one or two persons, in a merely casual way, have spoken to me on the subject. Your letter contains the first and only serious suggestion of the sort I have received from Ohio. I therefore do not wish to speak now decisively, or for the public. I will mention a few things which strike me at first blush, one or the other of which will perhaps end the matter.

Having been elected by the Union people of the Second District to an office which they knew I wanted, it would not be right to resign it without their approval. Again, I would not go into the State Convention unless it was quite certain that I would be supported by the delegates of Hamilton County. And, finally, I would not go into a contest with any other Union man of Hamilton County for the support of the delegation of that county. In short, nothing but the general desire and approval of the party and its public men in the county would justify me in consenting to leave the office to which I have just been elected.

I prefer you would for the present keep this to yourself, with the understanding that I will write you fully, frankly, and definitely when I am a little better informed in the premises.

Sincerely,
R. B. HAYES.
WILLIAM HENRY SMITH,
        Columbus.

SOURCE: Charles Richard Williams, editor, Diary and Letters of Rutherford Birchard Hayes, Volume 3, p. 39

No comments: