Friday, August 18, 2023

Senator John Sherman to Lieutenant-General William T. Sherman, October 14, 1868

[MANSFIELD, OHIO, October 14, 1868.]

The October election is now over, but I do not yet know precise results. I write, supposing that the Republicans have carried Ohio and Pennsylvania and perhaps Indiana. Grant is much stronger than our State or Congress ticket, and will get thousands of floating and Democratic votes. I regard his election as a foregone conclusion. This canvass has been very severe upon me and I shall now take a rest. If you would like to join me, we can go to the Lake1 and have some fine sport hunting and fishing. This relaxation will do us both good.

_______________

1 Lake Erie.

SOURCE: Rachel Sherman Thorndike, Editor, The Sherman Letters: Correspondence Between General and Senator Sherman from 1837 to 1891, p. 322-3

No comments: