Monday, September 11, 2023

Senator Henry Clay to Lucretia Hart Clay, March 8, 1851

WASHINGTON, March 8, 1851.

MY DEAR WIFE,—I have finally concluded to return by Cuba and New Orleans. The great difficulty I have felt in coming to the conclusion has been my long absence from you, and my desire to be with you. But my cough continues; although I do not lay up, my health is bad, and the weather has been the worst of March weather. The road, too, by Cumberland, I am told, is almost impassable. I hope that I may be benefited by the softer climate of Cuba. I expect to go on the 11th from New York in the steamer Georgia. And I think my absence from home will not be prolonged beyond a month, that is the middle of April. On settling my bank accounts, I will either from here or New York make a remittance to you.

I send herewith a check on York for $400 which I have endorsed to you, and of which you will make any use you may think proper.

I have written to John and telegraphed him, to put him at ease about Yorkshire, and I hope all will go well at home until my return.

God bless and preserve you, my dear wife.

SOURCE: Calvin Colton, Editor, The Private Correspondence of Henry Clay, p. 615

No comments: