Wednesday, September 6, 2023

Senator Henry Clay to Samuel Austin Allibone, June 30, 1851

ASHLAND, June 30, 1851.

MY DEAR SIR,—I received your friendly letter of the 23d instant. I have been so much from home during the last eighteen months that it is not my purpose at present to leave it this summer.

I have no doubt, with you, that many of the quiet and well-disposed citizens of South Carolina are opposed to the measures of violence which are threatened by others. But the danger is, as history shows too often happens, that the bold, the daring, and the violent will get the control, and push their measures to a fatal extreme. Should the State resolve to secede, it will present a new form of trial to our system; but I entertain undoubting confidence that it will come out of it with the most triumphant success.

I thank you for your friendly tender of your services. Should any occasion for the use of them arise, I will avail myself of them, with great pleasure.

Do me the favor to present my warm regards to your good sister; and I reciprocate your kind wishes and prayers, with all my heart.

SOURCE: Calvin Colton, Editor, The Private Correspondence of Henry Clay, p. 620

No comments: