Saturday, September 30, 2023

Two Old Acquaintances to John Brown, November 28, 1859

COLUMBUS, November 28.

Dear Sir: Duty and inclination both urge me at this late hour of your affliction to show you at least one token of remembrance and sympathy. The fact of my early acquaintance with you in former years, although much younger than yourself, the intimacy that existed between our fathers' families for years, growing out of the relations they sustained to each other as neighbors and citizens, and brethren in the same Church with yourself, cooperating for the establishment of a New England town in Hudson, Ohio; for religion in a church, morals in a town, and education in the founding of the Western Reserve College all which they lived to see; the friendship which my (now sainted) father cherished for you, of which you had ample testimony; the high esteem which I had and have now in memory of your worthy (now departed) father, as well as the high respect you sustained in intelligent and religious society; the strong friendship which I now feel for your worthy and afflicted sister, Mary Ann, and a heart yearning with tenderness for all in sorrow, and especially now in your peculiar position, I say all this produces the most intense interest in me as well as thousands of others; and although I had scarcely heard a word of you for many years, excepting your Kansas trials, and not even particulars of that; yet when I first heard of the outbreak at Harper's Ferry—the death of your two sons the hasty trial—the merciless sentence after your truthful and noble speech, and all my inmost soul was moved with sadness; and although suffering with illness, my first impulse was to do something, if possible, for a grant of mercy; but I soon was foiled in that hope, and I resolved to resort to prayer that God would overrule all for good, as He has, no doubt, and that you might be sustained in every conflict: which prayer has not only gone up under my roof, but from thousands of others all over the land; and those prayers have been heard. At any rate, from your interesting letters it seems you are almost miraculously sustained in these your last days of earthly trials; and although you sometimes may be pierced for a moment to be surrounded by those who deride instead of those who love, yet rejoice and triumph. And I praise my Maker that he gives you grace to conquer, and at last, when that last hour comes, from which all flesh shrinks, I firmly trust that the Saviour, (when, perhaps, poor man supposes he is crushing you with anguish) will put underneath you His everlasting and Almighty Arm, end lift you above all fear and pangs, and you will rejoice and triumph; and O! how glorious will be the transition from earth's cruel bondage to that Heavenly Liberty, and from foes here to sainted loved ones above! God grant all this is the unceasing prayer of many as well as your most sincere and sympathizing friend,

H. R.

Please tell those fellow-prisoners I pray their peace may be made with God. You have the kind regard and earnest prayer of my husband and son.

_______________

Dear Sir: To the accompanying line from Mrs. R. I add a word. I am glad you feel so well prepared to meet with calmness and composure your fate. I feel assured, as one in this State recently said, "The Lord will take care of your soul, and posterity will take care of your name." The Lord and time will both be right in the judgment of men's characters and motives. May the Lord be with you, and guide and sustain.

SOURCE: James Redpath, Editor, Echoes of Harper’s Ferry, p. 424-5

No comments: