Monday, October 16, 2023

Senator Daniel S. Dickinson to Mr. H. W. Rogers, October 15, 1850

BINGHAMTON, October 15, 1850.

MY DEAR SIR—I deeply regretted that you could not give us a call on your return, for I had many things I wished to say to you, but I heard of you at the cars with the reasons which urged you onward.

Our poor son is nearly gone. The long, dark night of death. is closing around him, and in a few days at most, and probably in a few hours, he will have finished his earthly career. He is calm and resigned, and deeply thoughtful, and in these his last moments gives the clearest evidence that his mind was one of no common mould. I knew not until now how strong was my expectation in his future success and usefulness.

We are deeply pained and afflicted, and need the sympathy and consolation of our friends. May the God who upholds all enable us to pass through the trial which speedily awaits us

Sincerely yours,
D. S. DICKINSON.

SOURCE: John R. Dickinson, Editor, Speeches, Correspondence, Etc., of the Late Daniel S. Dickinson of New York, Vol. 2, p. 450-1

No comments: