Sunday, October 8, 2023

Senator John Sherman to Lieutenant-General William T. Sherman, December 24, 1868

UNITED STATES SENATE CHAMBER,        
WASHINGTON, Dec. 24, 1868.

Dear Brother: . . . Your reception speech was universally approved. I saw Grant after his return here, and he was quite exultant over the whole affair. He takes all things tranquilly. . . .

I am in real embarrassment about questions that I must now act upon. My conviction is that specie payments must be resumed, and I have my own theories as to the mode of resumption, but the process is a very hard one, and will endanger the popularity of any man or administration that is compelled to adopt it. Our party has no policy, and any proposition will combine all other plans in opposition to it. . . .

Affectionately,
JOHN SHERMAN.

SOURCE: Rachel Sherman Thorndike, Editor, The Sherman Letters: Correspondence Between General and Senator Sherman from 1837 to 1891, p. 325

No comments: