Thursday, December 7, 2023

Senator John Sherman to General William T. Sherman, July 16, 1871

MANSFIELD, OHIO, July 16, 1871.
Dear Brother:

*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *

He1 will be nominated and I hope elected. So shall I; and it is better for the country that, in our relative positions, we are independent of each other. I hope you and he will preserve your ancient cordiality; for though he seems willing to strip your office of its power, yet I have no doubt he feels as warm an attachment for you as, from his temperament, he can to any one. You have been forbearing with him, but lose nothing by it. I have seen nothing in the course of the Republican party unfriendly to you. I know you have hosts of friends. in our party who would resent any marked injustice to you. . . .

Affectionately yours,
JOHN SHERMAN.
_______________

1 Grant

SOURCE: Rachel Sherman Thorndike, Editor, The Sherman Letters: Correspondence Between General and Senator Sherman from 1837 to 1891, p. 332-3

No comments: