Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Senator Henry Clay to James B. Clay, March 14, 1852

WASHINGTON, March 14, 1852.

MY DEAR SON,—I received your letter of the 1st instant, and at the same time one from Susan. They both interested me, as I like to hear all the details of your business and operations. You find, as every body finds, building and improvement more expensive than you had expected.

My health continues nearly stationary, not getting better nor worse, except in one particular, and that is sleep. Although I take an opiate every night, and lie in bed fourteen hours, I can get no sound, refreshing sleep. A man whose flesh, strength, appetite and sleep have been greatly reduced, must be in a bad way, but that is my condition. I have taken immense quantities of drugs; but with little if any effect on my cough, the disease which threatens me. I may linger on some months, but if there be no speedy improvement, I must finally sink under it. Give my love to dear Susan and all your children. I hope that she will continue to write to me.

SOURCE: Calvin Colton, Editor, The Private Correspondence of Henry Clay, p. 629

No comments: