Sunday, January 7, 2024

Senator John C. Calhoun to Anna Maria Calhoun Clemson, June 15, 1849

Fort Hill 15th June 1849

MY DEAR DAUGHTER, I do hope by this time, you are all safe in London, after a pleasant voyage. I shall be on the lookout for a letter dated at London in about two weeks from now.

I wrote to Mr Clemson subsequent to the receipt of your letter, and addressed to Brussels, where I hope he will find it, on his arrival. I stated in it, that I would write you the next week, which would have been Sunday last, but when I was about commencing to write, Cornelia brought me a letter to you, to be put under cover, which I did and forward[ed] to the State Department, to be sent by the first opportunity. You will probably find it at Brussels on your arrival. Cornelia gave you, I doubt not, all the news.

In consequence of her writing, I postponed my letter for a week, which will give it the opportunity to go by the next Steamer after that which took yours.

We all felt, my dear daughter, as you described your feelings to be, at your departure. It is, indeed, distressing to be so far off and for so long a time from those so dear to us; but let us rather look forward to when we shall again meet, than indulge in unavailing sorrows. I trust two years, at the utmost, will terminate your residence in Europe, and return you all again safe to our country. It is due to the children, that your stay should not be longer. Their habits and mode of thinking will, by that time, begin to be formed; and it is important, that they should be such, as to conform to the conditions of the country, which is to be their home. I often think of them, and how much delighted they would be, to be enjoying themselves in our green and shady yard. The season has been wet, and everything looks beautiful. Even the old field beyond the yard looks as green as a meadow. In the field beyond it, (Speeds field), now containing 125 acres, by the addition of clearing, has a fine crop of oats, just fully shot out, which completely covers the whole ground, presenting an unbroken mass of green in that direction. The big bottom on the other side is covered, with a superb crop of corn, the best at this season, I ever had on it, which covers the whole with a deep green. Back of it, lies fort hill, with its harvested wheat in shocks. The spring has been too cool and wet for cotton, but mine looks well, and, with my hill side drains and serpentine rows, really looks handsome. The place is altogether, in fine order. I ride or walk, according to the weather twice a day, morning and evening, over it, for the double purpose of exercise and superintendence. I have no trouble, as Fredrick has become a first rate overseer, and takes as much interest as I do in everything about the place. I would be delighted to have you and the children with me occasionally, in my walks. It would be wearisome to take them as often as I do.

My health and strength are as good, as I could expect at my time of life. I take all necessary care of them, except being rather more overtasked, than I could wish. I devote all the time left me, to finishing the work, I commenced three years ago, or more; but which I had to suspend the last two I ought not to delay its execution any longer, and aim to put it to press, if I can finish it in the recess, next Spring, or Summer. I finished yesterday, the preliminary work, which treats of the elementary principles of the Science of Government, except reading it over and making final corrections, previous to copying and publishing. It takes 125 pages of large foolscap closely written for me. I am pretty well satisfied with its execution. It will be nearly throughout new territory; and, I hope, to lay a solid foundation for political Science. I have written, just as I thought, and told the truth without fear, favour, or affection.

After a few days of relaxation, I shall commence to treat of the Government of the United States. It will be more than twice as voluminous as the elementary work, but not near so difficult of execution. It will take me four, or five months, I suppose. I have got a good deal of it blocked out. I should like to read both to you and Mr Clemson before I publish, and regret that I shall not have the opportunity to do so.1 . . .
_______________

1 These two works, posthumously published, "A Disquisition on Government" and "A Discourse on the Constitution and Government of the United States," constitute Vol. I of Calhoun's collected works.

SOURCE: J. Franklin Jameson, Editor, Annual Report of the American Historical Association for the Year 1899, Volume II, Calhoun’s Correspondence: Fourth Annual Report of the Historical Manuscripts Commission, Correspondence of John C. Calhoun, p. 766-8

No comments: