Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Senator Lewis Cass to Senator Daniel S. Dickinson, July 14, 1851

DETROIT, July 14, 1851.

MY DEAR SIR—I am going to save you the trouble of deciphering my hieroglyphics, by borrowing my daughter's pen in writing this letter. I am glad to hear from you, and to perceive that you have lost nothing of your old spirit. Indeed, why should you? You have passed through a fiery ordeal, and have come like gold out of the fire. You never stood better with every true American than at this moment. Whatever may be the result of matters in your State, and I must confess I have no hopes of them, your position before the American people cannot be shaken, and you are young enough to receive the reward of your firmness. For myself I do not believe that I shall live to see things settled down quietly; but it matters little to me personally. I have no hopes fixed on the future, nor do I care two straws about it, so far as respects myself. You seemed to foresee truly what was to happen in New York, and I anticipate nothing but defeat in the coming elections. I am under the impression that the extreme spirit of opposition will push many of our Southern friends to an extreme position. They seem to me determined, if they cannot have everything, to have nothing.

*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *

I want to see you very much, and to talk with you, and if it is possible, I will stop a night with you, on my way to Washington. But, absent or present, I shall never forget your true friendship, nor cease to reciprocate it.

Ever yours,
LEWIS CASS.

SOURCE: John R. Dickinson, Editor, Speeches, Correspondence, Etc., of the Late Daniel S. Dickinson of New York, Vol. 2, p. 465-6

No comments: