Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Daniel Stewart to Senator Daniel S. Dickinson, September 30, 1852

BALTIMORE, September 30, 1852.

MY DEAR SIR—Your letter of September 25th is before me, and I reply at once to impress upon you the importance of a visit to Maryland. I should like you to be here on the 21st of October, so as to attend the great Frederick County meeting on the 23d. I have realized the pressure of professional engagements, and have yielded to the sacrifice which their neglect involves; and that, too, in seasons when I could not regard the perils as so imminent as I do now. I beg you, therefore, to come for your own sake, and the sake of the party. I am no flatterer, as all who know me will admit, and I therefore tell you that your presence for a week or ten days in Maryland is most important to our triumph here.

I am desired by Mrs. Stewart to say, that she will esteem it a favor to receive a visit from Mrs. Dickinson, or any of your family you may select to accompany you. I have felt the kindness of your invitation to your hospitality at Binghamton, and beg that you will give me the honor of showing what Maryland may do with such friends as you. I make no boast of being in a "log cabin," and I will therefore tender to you every "material aid and comfort."

I write earnestly, because I feel what I say, and I can tell you that, in the future, memory will look upon your visit to Maryland as a bright page in your history.

Truly and faithfully,
DANIEL STEWART.

SOURCE: John R. Dickinson, Editor, Speeches, Correspondence, Etc., of the Late Daniel S. Dickinson of New York, Vol. 2, p. 471

No comments: