Monday, February 19, 2024

Daniel Webster to Senator Daniel S. Dickinson, September 27, 1850

Washington, September 27, 1850.

MY DEAR SIR, Our companionship in the Senate is dissolved. After this long and most important session, you are about to return to your home; and I shall try to find leisure to visit mine. I hope we may meet each other again two months hence, for the discharge of our duties, in our respective stations in the government.  But life is uncertain; and I have not felt willing to take leave of you without placing in your hands a note, containing a few words which I wish to say to you.

In the earlier part of our acquaintance, my dear Sir, occurrences took place, which I remember with constantly increasing regret and pain; because the more I have known of you, the greater have been my esteem for your character, and my respect for your talents. But it is your noble, able, manly, and patriotic conduct, in support of the great measure of this session, which has entirely won my heart, and secured my highest regard. I hope you may live long to serve your country; but I do not think you are ever likely to see a crisis, in which you may be able to do so much, either for your own distinction or the public good. You have stood where others have fallen; you have advanced, with firm and manly step, where others have wavered, faltered, and fallen back; and for one, I desire to thank you, and to commend your conduct, out of the fulness of an honest heart. This letter needs no reply; it is, I am aware, of very little value; but I have thought you might be willing to receive it, and, perhaps, to leave it where it would be seen by those who shall come after you. I pray you, when you reach your own threshold, to remember me most kindly to your wife and daughter. I remain, my dear Sir, with the truest esteem, your friend and obedient servant,

DANIEL WEBSTER.
_______________

For Dickinsons reply see: Senator Daniel S. Dickinson to Daniel Webster, October 5, 1850

SOURCE: Fletcher Webster, Editor, The Private Correspondence of Daniel Webster, Vol. 2, p. 392

No comments: