Tuesday, February 13, 2024

John Tyler to Colonel David Lion Gardiner, April 5, 1861

RICHMOND, April 5, 1861.

MY DEAR COLONEL: After great delay my speech in the convention has but now seen the light. I hasten to send you the paper containing it, and will, as soon as I can have it so printed, send you a pamphlet copy for the library. I send a paper also to your mother. It is destined to a large circulation, which would have been quadrupled had it been published at an earlier day.

We are still listening to speeches, but go to serious work to-day—the work of voting. I think the prospect is that we shall adopt an ultimatum, and there rest for the present. I hope it may be a strong one. The people of the State are becoming very restless. I wish that the speech could be extensively published in the North and West. The convention will adjourn in some ten days.

Gardie has had the measles at home, and Julia has it here at Miss Pegram's school. They are both doing well. Gardie, I hope is over it, and Julia, without a change, will soon be. The other children I suppose will have it. I almost wish it. I hope that your wife is perfectly well, and that your mother enjoys this fine weather.

With affectionate regards, yours truly,
JOHN TYLER.

SOURCE: Lyon Gardiner Tyler, The Letters and Times of the Tylers, Volume 2, p. 630

No comments: