Thursday, February 15, 2024

Senator John C. Calhoun to Anna Maria Calhoun Clemson, April 10, 1849

Fort Hill 10th April 1849

MY DEAR DAUGHTER, I had a safe and pleasant journey home. The weather was pleasant and Spring was rapidly advancing. The Jessamine and Dogwood were in bloom, and the forest had just commenced clo[th]ing itself with green. The contrast was great between being pent up in a boarding house in Washington and breathing the pure fresh air of the country, made fragrant by the blossoms of Spring.

Patrick accompanied me to your Uncle James, where we met your Mother and Sister. They, with your Uncle, were well. I remained there four days, when we took our departure for Fort Hill, leaving Patrick with his Uncle. We found all well on our arrival, and the place in good order and business forward, considering that the measles had passed through the negro quarter during the winter, and that none, but a few had escaped, but with the loss of only one, an infant of a constitution too feeble to survive the attack. I shall finish planting cotton today, and the whole of my crop this week. The small grain looks well, and the place bears the appearance of good order.

We have no local news, in which you would take interest.

John returned from Milledge Ville by the last Stage but one. He looks well and I think his health is much improved by the Water cure. His cough is much better. He is quite a convert to the system. I advise him to visit the establishment at Brattleborough in Vermont, both to complete his cure and perfect himself in the practise. He says, that Gen' McDuffie has improved wonderfully under the process. He is entirely relieved from the Dyspepsia and his nervous affections, and has recovered the free use of his arms, is cheerful, sleeps well, and eats heartily. With the exception of his paralized leg [he] may be said to be well.

I have for some time believed, that the process, carried to a certain extent, would be of service to me; and have determined, under John's superintendence, to make a trial. I began this morning with what is called the wet sheet, or rather the damp sheet, which in effect is no more nor less, than a safe and efficient form of the vapour bath. I remained wrapt round with the sheet, and covered with 8 or 9 blankets for 11⁄2 hours, and ended in a warm bath, and an effectual rubbing dry. The process was soothing and pleasant. It has cleansed the skin effectually, and I doubt not, done much to open the pores-the one thing, in my opinion, needful to me. I shall persist in it until I give it a fair trial; and if I find it as beneficial as I expect, I shall fix up a complete bathing establishment. I am pleased with the first essay; and I hope it will prove a substitute for brandy tody and hot punch. They have, I doubt not done me good; but, I think, the water cure will do me still more.

All join their love to you, Mr Clemson and the Children. Kiss them for their Grandfather and tell them how much I miss them.

[P. S] You see I substitute a C for an M in your name. I hope you will adopt the change.1

_______________

1 The letter is addressed "Mrs. A. C. Clemson" instead of, as in previous letters, "Mrs. A. M. Clemson."

SOURCE: J. Franklin Jameson, Editor, Annual Report of the American Historical Association for the Year 1899, Volume II, Calhoun’s Correspondence: Fourth Annual Report of the Historical Manuscripts Commission, Correspondence of John C. Calhoun, p. 763-4

No comments: