Saturday, March 30, 2024

Governor Rutherford B. Hayes to Guy M. Bryan, January 21, 1869

COLUMBUS, January 21, 1869.

MY DEAR GUY:—Your New Year's letter made me happy. Time is rapidly getting our political differences out of the way. We shall hardly be as wide apart again as we were ten years ago. Personally, we never were divided. Hereafter I hope we shall meet in as complete accord as need be for close friendship. I was at Gambier Monday to see the inauguration of a new president. The enclosed gives you a report of it. Altogether a good time. I spoke of you to numbers of old friends who have friendly recollections of auld lang syne. Hurd, Buttles, Jones, etc., always ask about you.

Excuse this. I am writing in the office with too many interruptions to write consecutively.

My regards to your wife and children. I hope to see you again soon.

As ever,
R.
GUY M. BRYAN,
        Texas.
Private.

SOURCE: Charles Richard Williams, editor, Diary and Letters of Rutherford Birchard Hayes, Volume 3, p. 57-8

No comments: