Tuesday, April 23, 2024

John L. Dawson to Senator Robert M. T. Hunter, August 10, 1855

BROWNSVILLE, [PA.], August 10, 1855.

DEAR HUNTER: I reached home on last evening having left "Superior on the 6th instant. I was delighted with my trip-the beauty of the Town site-its advantages and the absolute certainty that it will be a great town.

It is the prettiest situation for a City that I have ever seen. The rivers and the bay are unsurpassed for their natural beauty, the bay or harbor however requiring some dredging and the entrance to the bay requiring the construction of a pier to protect the channel. The country in the vicinity of the place is rich and will make a fine agricultural district. The whole thing is a decided hit. The minerals in the vicinity are also abundant and rich.

I have a map for you, with your lots coloured. I got a young lawyer to do the work but had the numbers carefully compared by Mr. Clarke, Newton's chief clerk. I will send you the map by Adams Express if you will designate the place and route.

I cannot advise you to sell any of these lots, time will add greatly to their value. So impressed was Gov. Bright and myself with the prospects of "Superior" that we acceded to a proposition of Mr. Newton to pay off the notes given to Mr. Corcoran, say about $20,000 and take lots for the same, about 456 lots.

I send you a no. of the Superior Chronicle containing a letter written by Mr. Mitchell, one of the Editors of the St. Louis Intelligence descriptive of the place and its advantages.

I have declined as you have doubtless seen by the papers, the appointment of Governor of the Territory of Kansas. I hope to have the pleasure of seeing you some time this winter at Washington and can then tell you all about "Superior."

I await your answer concerning the shipment of the map.

SOURCE: Charles Henry Ambler, Editor, Annual Report of the American Historical Association for the Year 1916, in Two Volumes, Vol. II, Correspondence of Robert M. T. Hunter (1826-1876), p. 168-9

No comments: