Saturday, August 3, 2024

Senator Henry Clay to James B. Clay, October 2, 1849

ASHLAND, October 2, 1849.

MY DEAR JAMES,—I returned home this day fortnight, in improved health, which, with the exception of my cough, continues good. Levi again left me at Buffalo, and has again returned to Louisville, on his way home, having reported himself there to Mr. Smith.

I received your letter dated at sea, after you had been two days out, and I was sorry to learn that there was so much seasickness in your party. I calculated that you arrived at Liverpool about the time I got home. I found all well here.

Colonel Brand died with cholera about four weeks ago. Johnson, the saddler, has purchased at private sale the whole of Mr. Hunt's land, of upward of eleven hundred acres, at sixty dollars per acre. I think it would have commanded more at public auction, land being on the rise.

You will have seen that Secretary Clayton has got into a difficulty with the French minister. I am sorry for it, and I think that with judgment and discretion it might have been avoided. But your course should be to defend the act of the Executive, if you can conscientiously; and if not to remain silent. The papers will also inform you that the Secretary has also a difficulty with the British Chargé about the Mosquito Coast. I hope it is not so serious as to threaten war.

My crops of hemp and corn are uncommonly fine, and the influx of gold from California, and the general prosperity of the country are giving an upward tendency to prices. Hemp, I fear, will, however, be an exception next year, owing to its abundance.

I suppose you will hear from Louisville. I have heard nothing to the contrary, and therefore presume all are well there.

I inclose a ticket which I received for you inclosed in a circular, similar to one addressed to me, from the American Institute.

Our love to Susan, and kiss dear Lucy and the other children for me.

SOURCE: Calvin Colton, Editor, The Private Correspondence of Henry Clay, p. 588-9

No comments: