Saturday, August 3, 2024

Senator Henry Clay to Rodney Dennis, April 15, 1849

ASHLAND, April 15, 1849.

DEAR SIR,—Your favor of the 27th ultimo, addressed to me at New Orleans, followed and found me here.

I am very grateful and thankful for the friendly sentiments toward me which your partiality has prompted you to express. You do me too much honor in instituting any comparison between me and the renowned men of antiquity. I am in one respect better off than Moses. He died in sight of, without reaching, the promised land. I occupy as good a farm as any that he would have found, if he had reached it; and it has been acquired, not by hereditary descent, but by my own labor.

As to public honors and public offices, I have perhaps had more than my share of them. At all events I am contented, and now seek for better, if not higher offices and honors, in a better world. That we may both meet there, if we never do here, is the sincere prayer of your friend and obedient servant.

SOURCE: Calvin Colton, Editor, The Private Correspondence of Henry Clay, p. 587

No comments: