Friday, October 11, 2013

Brigadier General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Meade, November 7, 1861

CAMP PIERPONT, VA., November 7, 1861.

I ought to have written to you before, but I have been very busy, having been put on a court-martial as president, and it being the first time in my military service of thirty years that I ever had anything whatever to do with a court, I have to spend much time in booking myself up.

McCall showed me to-day a very severe letter from McClellan, commenting on the state of discipline of his division. I think the report of the officers who inspected us unfair and illiberal. Whilst I am aware our discipline is much below what it ought to be, yet I deny the assertion that we are worse than the rest of the army. McCall was very much mortified, and I am afraid McClellan has been prejudiced against him by the talking of others.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 1, p. 226

No comments: