Saturday, October 12, 2013

Brigadier General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Meade, November 12, 1861

CAMP PIERPONT, VA., November 12, 1861.

This afternoon, while at dinner, I was greatly surprised and delighted at seeing a carriage drive up with Captain and Mrs. Scott. He said he was in Washington before a Court of Inquiry; that he had not the slightest fear of the result, having conscientiously performed his duty. He explained the cause of complaint, which was his not having reported to the Gulf Squadron; which he could not do, having captured a vessel that he had evidence would not have been condemned at Key West, though a legal capture. I hope his expectations will be realized, and that no harm will come to him. They had driven out to see Baldy Smith and myself. After spending a little while in my tent, I rode part of the way back with them. Today we have the cheering news from the Naval Expedition;1 du Pont2 has covered himself with glory. The whole affair was most skillfully executed, and reflects great credit on the navy. It has inspirited all of us, and the talk is now, When are we going to do something? I should not be surprised if a movement was made in a very few days. For my part I hope so.
__________

1 Battle of Port Royal, S. C., November 7, 1861.
2 Captain Samuel F. Du Pont, U. S. N., in command of the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 1, p. 226-7

No comments: