Saturday, January 11, 2014

Brigadier General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Meade, August 19, 1862

CAMP OPPOSITE FREDERICKSBURG, August 19, 1862.

My yesterday's letter announced to you my arrival at this place and my being once more in harness. I have not yet assumed command of my old brigade, as I am awaiting the arrival of Reynolds, who ought to have reached here, and whom I am hourly expecting. I, however, yesterday went amongst them, riding through the camps, and was much gratified at their turning out by companies and cheering me. I stopped at each company and said a few words, indicating my gratification at being once more among them, and commending them for their good conduct in battle. They all seemed right glad to see me, both officers and men, and I do believe they were sincere. This is very gratifying, for they had more opportunity of knowing what I did and what I am than my superior officers.

Burnside returned this morning and received me very cordially. He is quite different from McClellan in his manners, having great affability and a winning way with him that attracts instead of repelling strangers. I have accidentally learned the cause of his absence, which I communicate confidentially. It appears when McClellan telegraphed, asking to have the retreat countermanded and an advance ordered, that very sharp messages passed between him and Halleck. The latter individual immediately sent for Burnside, stated the case to him, said McClellan misunderstood his feelings and position, which were of the most friendly nature towards him, but that the matter had taken such shape that unless he (Burnside) could get McClellan to recede or explain, that he (Halleck) could not save him from being superseded. Burnside immediately went down to the James River, and was returning when I saw him this morning, having, as he thinks, adjusted the difficulty. Burnside is devotedly attached to McClellan, and would not think of taking his place when it was offered to him. Burnside says the rear guard had crossed the Chickahominy before he left, and that the retreat had been conducted in the most masterly manner, the enemy either not knowing it or else glad to let us go undisturbed. We hear nothing of the enemy in our vicinity, and they are said to be falling back from Pope. What they are after now, it is hard to tell. Since I have been here I have been talking over the battles with different officers, and I am coming to the conclusion that the Pennsylvania Reserves did save the army, in the great strategic change of base; that is to say, had it not been for the Reserves holding the enemy in check on Monday, June 30th, and thus enabling the different corps to retreat and unite on that night, they (the enemy) would undoubtedly have broken our centre and divided our forces in two, which could have been destroyed in detail. Hence the sturdy resistance made by the Reserves, not permitting the enemy to advance beyond the line of battle, gave our forces time during the night to retire and concentrate, so that next morning the enemy found an unbroken line in front of them. From all I can learn, those that did fight, fought most gallantly and desperately. Of course, there were a great many (as there always will be) who left the ranks early in the action.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 1, p. 303-4

No comments: