Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Brigadier General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Meade, August 31, 1862

CENTREVILLE, August 31,1862.

I write to advise you that after three days' continuous fighting I am all safe and well.1 Old Baldy was hit in the leg, but not badly hurt. Willie (your brother) I saw this morning, all safe — Willie Watmough also. All your friends, I believe, are safe. I have had several officers and many men killed and wounded, but no one that you know particularly. We have been obliged to fall back from the old Bull Run battle-field, where we fought. The enemy are superior in force and flushed with their success. We are in a critical position, but I trust will get out of it. This result is no more than might have been known by any one who looked upon things in their proper light.
__________

1 Second Battle of Bull Run, Va., August 28-30, 1862. Federal loss, killed, wounded, and missing, 14,462 (O. R.).

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 1, p. 306

No comments: