Sunday, January 19, 2014

Brigadier General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Meade, September 8, 1862

CAMP NEAR LEESBORO', MD., September 8, 1862.

After writing to you on the 6th, I went to Williards', where I met Willie1 and his wife. I dined with them, and returned to camp, where I found orders to march. We marched all night and most of the next day, reaching this point, some ten miles north of Washington, yesterday afternoon. We have been here one day, and are to move again to-morrow, and will be, I suppose, kept moving now until something decisive is done with the enemy, who have invaded Maryland. Hooker has been placed in command of McDowell's corps, to which we belong, and Burnside has been placed in Pope's position as commander of an army.
__________

1 William Sergeant, brother of Mrs. Meade.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 1, p. 309

No comments: