Sunday, January 26, 2014

Brigadier General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Meade, September 29, 1862

CAMP NEAR SHARPSBURG, MD., September 29, 1862.

Yesterday General Reynolds made his appearance, very much disgusted with his Pennsylvania campaign and militia, who he says behaved very badly, refused to come forward, and would not have stood five minutes if they had been attacked by one-tenth their number. He hurried back here as soon as possible, knowing of course he would have command of the corps, as I could not expect McClellan to put him under my command. We went to see McClellan together. He was very civil to me, said he would have to put Reynolds in command, but hoped in a few days to announce to both of us that we were major generals, which he had strongly urged on the Government. As yet the order has not been issued, but when it comes I shall subside gracefully into a division commander, though frankness compels me to say, I do wish Reynolds had stayed away, and that I could have had a chance to command a corps in action. Perhaps it may yet occur. At any rate, it would be great ingratitude in me to complain, after all my recent good fortune.

McClellan said it was not his intention to immediately cross the river, unless it should rise and prevent the enemy's crossing, in which case he would cross and attack him. His most reliable intelligence led him to believe that they were falling back on Winchester, which is no more than reasonable, as I do not see how they can supply their army in so advanced a position as Martinsburg. I spoke to McClellan about the Reserves and their decimated condition, there being now not more than three thousand men for duty. I also told him that I had no idea they would ever be filled up by recruiting officers, and the only course I saw to adopt was to send them in a body back to Pennsylvania, and ask the Governor and State to fill them up within a specified time; but if it could not be done, they were to be mustered out of service.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 1, p. 314-5

No comments: