Sunday, February 2, 2014

Abraham Lincoln to Major General Henry W. Halleck, January 1, 1862

EXECUTIVE MANSION, Washington, January 1, 1862.

MY DEAR GENERAL HALLECK: General McClellan is not dangerously ill, as I hope, but would better not to be disturbed with business. I am very anxious that, in case of General Buell's moving toward Nashville, the enemy shall not be greatly re-enforced, and I think there is danger he will be from Columbus. It seems to me that a real or feigned attack upon Columbus from up-river at the same time would either prevent this or compensate for it by throwing Columbus into our hands. I wrote General Buell a letter similar to this, meaning that he and you shall communicate and act in concert, unless it be your judgment and his that there is no necessity for it. You and he will understand much better than I hew to do it. Please do not lose time in this matter.

Yours, very truly,
A. LINCOLN.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 7 (Serial No. 7), p. 926

No comments: