Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Brigadier General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Meade, December 2, 1862

CAMP NEAR BROOKS STATION, VA., December 2, 1862.

Yesterday I rode over to headquarters and saw General Burnside. As usual, he was very civil and polite. While we were talking he got a telegram announcing the promotion of Reynolds and some half a dozen of brigadiers. He said there were two names on the list ahead of Reynolds; one was Senator Rice, of Minnesota, and the other Brigadier General Berry, of Maine, who has been in service some time. I also understood that only nine appointments to major-generalcies were to be made. I am very glad Reynolds is promoted, for I have always thought he deserved it for his services at Mechanicsville. Reynolds is a man who is very popular and always impresses those around him with a great idea of his superiority.

I could not find out from Burnside what we are likely to do. Some say we are to cross the river immediately, but I see no signs of any such movement. Hooker is very anxious for a move and is talking very freely about our delay. At Burnside's I met Franklin, who invited me to his quarters to eat a turkey. I went over with him and had a very pleasant dinner, and in the evening a quiet game of whist.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 1, p. 334-5

No comments: