Wednesday, February 19, 2014

General Robert E. Lee to Brigadier General G. W. Custis Lee, December 13, 1864

NEAR PETERSBURG, 13th December, 1864.
MY DEAR SON:

I have been expecting to see you for some weeks, but each day that I have appointed to return to the north side of the James River, some movement of the enemy has occurred, or some rumor of a projected movement has reached me, to prevent. Yesterday week I had directed our caravan to be prepared to move the next day, but during the night, or rather before day the next morning, I heard of their last move down the plank road, and had to put our troops in motion.

We succeeded in arresting them at the Meherrin and turning them back. Their route of retreat was due east in direction of Sussex Ct. H., and thus their infantry got out of our way, and we could only strike their rear-guard of cavalry.

The weather was wretched, and I fear our men and animals suffered much. The enemy reached their camps last night and our men are coming in this morning. Their prisoners stated they were going to Weldon, and I suppose were bound on a distant mission as they carried beef cattle and a long train of wagons. Their trains, etc., were all east of their route march. We did them little harm I fear. They destroyed about six miles of R. R., so the Supt. reports, and burned some small bridges. During this operation they attempted to turn our right flank, and to reach Dinwiddie Ct. H. In this they also failed. I do not know what they will do next. I have a nice pair of woolen gloves, gauntlet shaped, which may keep you warm this cold weather. If you want them will send them up. If you do not, let me know.

I am afraid you will ruin my character with the young ladies, and may cause that of the family for fidelity to be suspected. Several of them wishing, I suppose, to see how they would like me as a father-in-law, have requested my photograph, which I have promised, and have relied on those you were to have sent me. Not one has ever reached me, and I am taxed with breach of promise. See what a strait you have placed me in. Rob got here on Tuesday and I had to forward him next day on Ajax. He had, I fear, a disagreeable ride as it rained all day.

I hope you and your men are comfortable and that everything is well with you. Have you been able to pole the road through that slushy wood? God bless and keep you, my dear son, is the daily prayer of your affectionate father,

R. E. LEE.
GEN. G. W. CUSTIS LEE.

SOURCE: John William Jones, Life and Letters of Robert Edward Lee: Soldier and Man, p. 307-8

No comments: