Monday, February 24, 2014

General Robert E. Lee to Mary Custis Lee, June 30, 1864

CAMP, PETERSBURG, June 30, 1864.

I was very glad to receive your letter yesterday, and to hear that you are better. I trust you will continue to improve and soon be as well as usual. God grant that you may be entirely restored in his own good time! Do you recollect what a happy day thirty-three years ago this was? How many hopes and pleasures it gave birth to! God has been very merciful and kind to us, and how thankless and sinful I have been! I pray that He may continue His mercies and blessings to us and give us a little peace and rest together in this world, and finally gather us and all He has given us around His throne in the world to come. The President has just arrived, and I must bring my letter to a close. God bless you all.

SOURCE: John William Jones, Life and Letters of Robert Edward Lee: Soldier and Man, p. 318

No comments: