Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Major General George B. McClellan to Abraham Lincoln, April 18, 1862 – 11.30 p.m.

HEADQUARTERS ARMY OF THE POTOMAC,
Camp Winfield Scott, April 18, 186211.30 p.m.
His Excellency A. LINCOLN,
President:

If compatible with your impressions as to the security of the capital, and not interfering with operations of which I am ignorant, I would be glad to have McCall's division so as to be enabled to make a strong attack upon West Point to turn position of the enemy. After all that I have heard of things which have occurred since I left Washington and before, I would prefer that General McDowell should not again be assigned to duty with me.

 G. B. McCLELLAN,
Major-General, Commanding.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 51, Part 1 (Serial No. 107), p. 578

No comments: