Monday, March 3, 2014

Abraham Lincoln to Major General George B. McClellan, May 15, 1862

WASHINGTON CITY,
May 15, 1862.
Major-General McCLELLAN,
Cumberland, Va.:

Your long dispatch of yesterday* is just received. I will answer more fully soon. Will say now that all your dispatches to the Secretary of War have been promptly shown to me. Have done and shall do all I could and can to sustain you. Hoped that the opening of James River and putting Wool and Burnside in communication, with an open road to Richmond, or to you, had effected something in that direction. I am still unwilling to take all our force off the direct line between Richmond and here.

A. LINCOLN.
__________


SOURCES: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 11, Part 3 (Serial No. 14), p. 173

No comments: