Saturday, March 1, 2014

Major General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Meade, December 30, 1862

CAMP OPPOSITE FREDERICKSBBURG, Va., December 30, 1862

I have received your letters of the 25th and 27th. I saw the piece in the Inquirer you refer to, and it was certainly very handsome, as well as the editorial. I trust, however, I shall be able to live up to my advertisements. It was very civil in Reynolds to call on you. I am not surprised he did not indulge in any complimentary remarks about me, because, in the first place, Reynolds is a man who never says or does such things. He is a very good fellow, and I have had much pleasant intercourse with him during the past eighteen months, and considering how closely we have been together and the natural rivalry that might be expected, I think it is saying a good deal for both that we have continued good friends. I fear all hopes of getting home for the present have disappeared. Yesterday we had orders to be in readiness to move at twelve hours' notice, which means, I presume, (though I know nothing) that an advance is contemplated; whether we will cross above or below is a matter of conjecture; or whether we will cross at all. Still, so long as there is a talk of moving, I am kept here. To-day it is raining; a few days' rain will stop all movement.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 1, p. 342-3

No comments: