Sunday, March 16, 2014

Major General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Meade, February 1, 1863

CAMP NEAR FALMOUTH, VA., February 1, 1863.

Yesterday I received by the flag of truce, a note from Frank Ingraham,1 who says he is a private in the Twenty-first Mississippi Regiment, now at Fredericksburg. He says Ned 2 was killed last spring, and that Apolline3 has lost her husband, who died from exposure in service; that his mother and the rest are all well, and wish to be remembered to his yankee relatives.

The weather continues most unfavorable, rain and mud are the order of the day, and in my judgment it will be some months before we can undertake operations of any magnitude. I am afraid, from what I see in the papers, that General Franklin is going to have trouble, for which I shall be truly sorry, for I really like Franklin.
__________

1 Nephew of General Meade.
2 Brother of Frank Ingraham.
3 Sister of Frank Ingraham.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 1, p. 353

No comments: